Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Dedication

Once, an elderly general practitioner consulted me because of his severe depression. He could not have overcome the loss of his wife who had died two years before and whom he had loved above all else. Now, how could I help him? What should I tell him? Well, I refrained from telling him anything but instead confronted him with the question, "What would have happened, Doctor, if you had died first, and your wife would have to survive you?" "Oh," he said, "for her this would have been terrible; how she would have suffered!" Whereupon I replied, "You see, Doctor, such a suffering has been spared her, and it was you who spared her this suffering - to be sure, at the price that now you have to survive and mourn her." He said no word but shook my hand and calmly left my office. In some way, suffering ceases to be suffering at the moment it finds a meaning, such as the meaning of sacrifice. - Viktor. E Frankl, Man's Search For Meaning pg 135.

Now for a dedication. Thanks to David Choi's news feed haha.

the link's already up there mind you. but just in case you miss it, here's the original fb link again.

Do you believe in true love? I do now.

On December 17, 2012, my mom, Bonnie Kim, passed away unexpectedly from multiple organ failure, septic shock caused by unknown reasons at the age of 72. Our family spent six days in ICU thinking that her condition wasn’t too serious and believing that everything was going to be fine.

Working as a nurse her entire adult life, she provided financial stability for our family through tough times. Even though she always talked about how tiring and demanding her job was and how she was always in physical pain because of a bad back, she always managed to keep her sense of humor. She loved Jersey Shore and kept me updated to the happenings of Snooki and The Situation. She could rattle off the stats of all the Lakers, Dodgers, and Raiders. Knowing the quirks of loved ones makes the relationship special.

No one appreciated those quirks more than my dad, Chin Kim. It wasn’t always easy. As a kid, I remember my parents arguing all the time. For the last 20+ years of their 50 years together, though, they never argued. It was as if after some inflection point in their lives, they managed to transcend into the fairy-tale type of love. After they both retired, my parents spent every minute together.

Now that my mom has passed away, my dad visits her at the cemetery every day. He spends about four hours at the site watering and trimming the grass, polishing her grave marker, and camping out to look at old photos. It's kind of ironic that he used to buy her flowers only on special occasions, but now he buys them every week. My dad was a man who never cried, but now he breaks down every day. He misses her dearly. We all miss her dearly.

Life is fragile. Don’t waste a moment holding grudges or worrying about the little things. Don't screw up amazing relationships with impulsive temptations. Don't be lazy. Be honest. Be bold. Most importantly, find somebody to love unconditionally 

Bennett Kim

I think there isn't much to say here. The bolded sentence above pretty much sums it all up.

Today I'm grateful that,
1.
I started a new painting.
2. I've been rediscovering Michelle Branch! Man so good.
3. I ate at Chile's. Tacos too. Lotsa them. With Mashed Potatoes. Yum.
4. Met mah nephew and niece.
5. Had dinner together as a family.

15-10-2013 I'm Grateful015

No comments: